REVISED JUNE 28, 2008
Sorry so few of these text exist in English translation; thanks
to all people of good will who might help us to post them.
- A falsidade.
- One of the major attitudes of capoeiristas, falseness
[march 16, 2002].
- A rasteira.
- Lúcia Palmares recalls a memorable sweep and wonders why the art of sweeps seems to vanish
in the past. In Portuguese or French [may 1997].
- Mulher na capoeira
- In the late 1960's, a woman capoeirista's troubles told by Lúcia Palmares in Portuguese,
with a translation in colloquial french [nov 20, 2004, rev. dec 17, 2004].
- Quand la musique est bonne...
- Opinion about what is a good capoeira orchestra. [19 jan 2005, in French]
- Pelejando no Canto
- North-Eastern Brazil poets singing challenges seems outdated now in capoeira.
Why? Our version of the famous Peleja de Riachão e do Negro.
[June 22, 2006, rev. June 28, 2008 in portuguese]
- "Capoeira no terreiro de Waldemar"
- Musician Eunice Catunda's article, published 1952, with notes by Pol Briand, , (1 jan 2006, in Portuguese or
in french translation)
- A master's record
- A presentation of master Traíra and master Cobrinha Verde's LP issued about 1962, by P. Briand (28 mar 2007).
- Palavras, palavras, palavras
- reflexions over capoeira in physical training classes in french high schools, over the uses of
words in teaching practical arts, in school and in capoeira. In Portuguese. [feb. 23, 2001]
- Ética na capoeira ou ética da capoeira
- When abuse occurs in capoeira, should we react by trying to
force ethics into capoeira practice, or look into capoeira for
resources against wrong deeds? In Portuguese [april 1998].
- Aos organizadores.
- To those who want to build federative institutions for
capoeira, we argue that capoeira has its own efficient ways of
collective behaviour, that preserves its plasticity and
reactiveness to the times. In Portuguese [jan 27, 2002].
- Les maîtres et les dieux (Masters and gods).
- By Hélène Roqueta. A view over the diversity of capoeira masters.
See also Lexique:Mestre.
[May 16, 2007, in French].
- La capoeira comme vision du monde (capoeira as a worldvision).
- A translation of an interview in Portuguese with
(Eduardo de Andrade Veiga, philosopher of education,
by Luiz Jean Lauand, memories of his aprenticeship in master Bimba's academy, and a retrospective synthesis
of what he retained from it.
- Os documentos históricos da capoeira e seus períodos -- Capoeira historiography.
Capoeiristas often invoke history. We contribute providing source texts.
Our goal is to gather evidence from the past, that could help us to better our practice of the
capoeira game. How must we select documents? The term capoeira may be misleading because,
much like the English rogue or ruffian, the litterate have used it not only to denominate a specific game,
or even an attitude, but also to point derogatorily to any kind of unwanted activity. It is insufficient because players may
have used another, local, name, or may have prefered a less desultory term. We must exclude logical
definitions, that would lead to inclusion or exclusion of a document. First, capoeiristas do not set a clear
limit on what is capoeira. Second, games are inbedded within society, so we must include elements of context
in our research. We define an aim, not a limit, so as to study a balanced set of documents. To avoid the construction of
myths based on an intemporal view of capoeira, we divide history into periods, roughly half the span of
an old-timer's memory, between what appears to be turning points
in Brazilan thought. We then sum up context and the relevant documents for each period.
By P. Briand [rev. June 17, 2007, in Portuguese or
- Dúvidas sobre o estudo da história da da capoeira
- Capoeira, an unaristocratic pastime living in oral transmission, did not leave
much documents for historians to study, and until relatively recent
times they convey exclusively hostile outsiders' point of view,
which might make them of little use to the student of capoeira. In
Portuguese [oct. 2002, rev. 18 nov 2004].
- Debret au Brésil, l'accomplissement d'une ambition.
- A short account of french painter Debret's residence in Rio de
Janeiro from 1816 to 1831 and his Voyage Pittoresque
et Historique au Brésil, by Pol Briand. In French
[in Brasiliana exposition catalog,
Fribourg (Switzerland), 1999]
- A propos des droits d'auteur et d'internet
- Capoeira is a new subject, so the most interesting writings
about it are covered by copyright, and they cannot be republished
legally, althrough practically no one has access to them. In French
[oct 2002/rev. jul 2004]
Lucia Palmares & Pol Briand
3, rue de la Palestine 75019 Paris
Tel. : (33) 1 4239 6436
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Capoeira Palmares Paris Association english homepage.
Association de Capoeira Palmares de Paris